The two-alarm fire that destroyed the town's post office Monday morning might make the task more difficult, but it would not preclude it. By late morning, as the building at 7 Golf Links Road smoldered, postal workers set out to find a new location where the mail could be stamped, sorted and distributed.
Post office officials did not know Monday how much mail was lost in the early morning fire caused when a furnace malfunctioned and overheated. Austin said that in January one of the three furnaces was replaced after it malfunctioned. It was fortunate the fire occurred at the end of the three-day Presidents' Day weekend, when the post office was closed, Steele said. Had the fire occurred on a business day, as many as 4,000 pieces of mail could have been lost, he said.