Mr. Farnsworth started Farnsworth's Cafe in Orono with $150 in 1931. Originally selling ice cream and other confections, he added pizza to the menu in 1953. It was an instant success, such that he turned the cafe into a pizza parlor and renamed it Pat's Pizza. Now the franchise, known for its fresh dough and special sauce developed by Mr. Farnsworth and his late wife, Francis (King), has grown to include 13 locations, from Sanford to Presque Isle.
Mr. Farnsworth was involved in other business ventures, including White Canoe Co. in Old Town, the Orono Bowling Alley, the Shamrock Tavern, a large pig farm in Old Town, and a trucking and a rubbish collection company for Old Town, Orono, and Bangor.
In addition to his son, Mr. Farnsworth leaves another son, George, of Orono; two daughters, Ann Rosebush and Pam Savoy, both of Orono; 12 grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.