ARCHIVES Search | Login | Search Tips | FAQ | Pricing | About the Archive | Terms
Document
Advanced Saved Saved Help
Start a New Search
 Buy Complete Document:   AbstractAbstract Full Text Full Text
Falls Road relics link past, present ; Endurance: Two of Baltimore County's oldest businesses have thrived despite changing times.
[FINAL Edition]
The Sun - Baltimore, Md.
Author: Piven, Ben
Date: Aug 13, 2002
Start Page: 1.B
Section: LOCAL
Abstract (Document Summary)

The inn is a few hundred yards north of the spot where the last 25-cent tollgate on the Falls Road Turnpike stood, giving the inn an important location at the intersection of a turnpike and the Baltimore & Susquehanna Railroad's Green Spring Valley Branch that ran between Brooklandville and Owings Mills.

The inn was the nucleus of Green Spring Valley activity. Though illegal, cockfights held in the mid-20th century drew gamblers to the inn for prefight carousing, said [John "Bud" Hatfield Jr.]. The inn always tended to attract a rural, upper-class clientele for such events. Spectators from the Maryland Whippet Club, which operated the dog track, also were frequent visitors.

Photo(s); 1. The Valley Inn, on Falls Road in Brooklandville, is one of the oldest businesses in Baltimore County. It opened in 1832 to serve travelers along what was then a private turnpike. 2. John Brown's was rebuilt in 1938 after fire destroyed the original structure, which is thought to date from the mid-18th century.; Credit: GENE SWEENEY JR. : SUN STAFF PHOTOS

 Buy Complete Document:   AbstractAbstract Full Text Full Text

Most Viewed Articles  (Updated Daily)